Quantcast

1987 250 Quadrunner...Starter Won't Crank

Parham

My starter seemed to be "dragging" for a few weeks.  I thought my battery was going bad.  Bought a new battery, charged it fully, and still no change.  Relay clicks and starter MIGHT, reluctantly, turn engine slowly one or two revolutions.  Somebody (Mech?) please point me in the right direction...what connections/wires have come loose?

Yup I'd definitely be suspecting the brushes in the starter. They wear out quite regularly, and sometimes get stuck in their holder.

The easy way to test them is to use two jumper leads and jump from the battery to earht, and from the battery positive straight onto the starter motor's live terminal. That eliminates the battery cables, bad connections, relays and switches. If it doesn't spin over then whip the starter out and dismantle it. The new brushes get sold with new springs and brushes all mounted on a new steel plate you just slip straight in..  Simple job. Cheap too.

• Like 1

I think the starter motors are fairly common and fit other makes as well. I just take the old plate with brushes to my local bike shop and the girl whips out three boxes of starter brush sets and gives me the ones that match mine. I think there are one or two makes and models of starter that do a lot of make quads.

If you get the numbers off the motor though you could search, or look up the genuine starter or parts and search for those numbers. I'm pretty sure you'll find they are common.

Edited by Mech
  • Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Forum Topics

• By Stoopidbot1
      I would like to take a second to say happy Father's day to all of the dad's out there... :woot:
    • By Suzukiquad
      I have a 97 Yamaha Timberwolf and it is beyond loud, is there any good options to silence them or at least make them bare able to drive. I know it has a crack in the exhaust pipe, but even with that fixed its still loud. 
    • By Sofaspud
      My 2008 can-am Outlander 800r is having hard shifting issues. Does anyone have a fix for this ?
    • By dvs1961
      Just bought a new hisun ,been shopping for a year or more for a sxs   best bang for the buck...Are there any lift kits out there for a 2022 Hisun 750 sector ? links thanks

• By That229Yamaha
      Hey guys, I’m new to the forum. What I got is a 2001 Yamaha Bear Tracker 250, got it as a project on trade and the problem I’m dealing with is a “no spark” problem and been trying to hunt down the cause for two weeks. I’ve replaced the stator, pick up coil, CDI, wiring harness, ignition, coil pack, spark plug, solenoid, battery, etc. and I’m still not getting any luck. Even tried bypassing the kill switch. I also noticed two things on this quad, another CDI under the back plastic by the voltage regulator, and a blue and green wire coming from the motor behind  the foot shift, tried to hook it up but it broke off and I’m thinking the broken wire would cause it to have no spark, if not then I need someone’s help on this and wanna see if I can get spark again. If anyone knows why I have this problem, the help would be greatly appreciated.